Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Depression?


How can that be? How can I feel depressed with all the exercise I do? Is it really depression or a rut?

I have read all kinds of articles on how exercise is suppose to help with depression. I'm not saying I have a full blown case of depression.. I just feel kind of down and out lately. Of course it doesn't help when it's cloudy or raining because who wouldn't feel a little down and out. That's not the case today. It's mostly sunny with a few bright white puffy clouds.

I think most of the reason I felt kind of blah, is due to lack of sleep and exercise recovery time. I wanted to test my theory on sleep, so I slept in this morning until 6:30am. I slept a whole 2 hours more then I usually do and it felt great! I got up refreshed and ready to go.

Instead of going to the gym, I took my run outside. I ran for an hour at no particular speed and just kept going until my hour was up. I felt alive and refreshed.

After breakfast, I was feeling a little sluggish again. So, I went shopping, ran my errands and that still didn't help pep me up. Felt like I was walking in a fog, just going through the motions, emotion-less. I took a detour coming home and headed straight to the gym to do my 20 minutes of weight lifting. It woke me up a little, but it still wasn't enough. I still felt blah...

I decided to head to the local nature park, Lebanon Hills and go for a mile walk around the lake. It felt good to be outside, walking in the woods, listening to the birds, hearing the rustling of animals in the leaves, and watching the birds and clouds float by.

So I no longer feel blah.. .I know what does the trick for me. Get outside.. fresh air.. .appreciate what is around you and take it all in.... and rest.... a lot of recovery rest for all the exercising I'm doing.. my body and brain needs it!

Tomorrow, I need to do this again... a longer walk? Might have to walk more tonight with Steve and the kids... Anything to get me out of a blah mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment