Monday, May 21, 2012

Try Something Different!


Okay, I'm already bored with my outdoor run route too. I'm less then thrilled these days to get out and run. I just didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I skipped the gym because I thought I wanted to run outside for a break from the same old, same old gym cross ramp.

I still ran.. took me longer to do my stretches.. tried to convince myself I could run later. I know for myself that if I don't get up and run before I have b-fast, there is no way I can run. So, out of bed I went, stretched for 15 minutes then checked the temperature.. 50, needed a long sleeve shirt today to get me started.

I think the first 10 steps of a run are the hardest. It gets easier the farther from the house. After 20 minutes into my run, I realize that I feel pretty good. Any where between 30 to 40 minutes I'm running by our house again.. time for a bathroom break.. and out the door I go again to finish the last 2 to 3 miles around our neighborhood.

Today, I didn't finish the last 2 miles.. my calves hurt and I had a hard time walking. I feel fine now but my legs got stiff in the short break. Best to stop before an injury. Plus, since I don't take rest days.. I'm considering this day a rest day.

I have to say.... I'm a bit afraid to take  rest day. I have a few good reasons. The main reason is that it's easy to stop.. what if I decide to take another rest day and another one.. then I'm out of the habit, out of shape and it's too hard to start back up and too easy to quit. It's the quitting at this point that I'm afraid of.

The other main reason is that I eat a lot of sugar.. yes, junk foods.. I'm out of my healthy eating habits.. Here I am typing this out and downing 2 rice crispy bars for a mid morning snack. I use to be soo good, eating only veggies, fruit and my rice and salsa. It seems little by little I'm letting my old bad eating habits creep back into my life. My old life that was comfortable on the couch, surfing the Internet and watching TV for hours. Wasting away time... eating what ever I wanted.

I need to snap out of that.. I need to get back on track with my eating. I at least have exercise! It's my only way to control my weight. It's the one thing I can count on to burn those junk food calories. That is why I'm sooo afraid to take a rest day. It will lead to weight gain. I need to burn all those extra calories just so I can eat a rice crispy bar and not gain back all the weight I lost.

It's sooo much easier at this point to keep on running then it is to stop.. I can't stop.... I have to keep running.. running for the new me.. this too shall pass.. I will get a hold on my eating or just keep running to maintain..

Which leads me to my post title.. Try Something Different... while running I decided the next time I run I will do my route in reverse.. .that's right... take the harder route.. up more hills and have less down hills to run. I know it's more challenging but at this point.. it's more a mind game.. it keeps me interested and mixes things up enough to get me to want to go out and run.

I'm sure as time goes by.. I will keep changing up my running route.. I will find new paths to take.. because after all.. it is good to try something different...

Almost forgot... week 21 ran a total of 55.2 miles,
I'm on week 22.. but whos counting..

No comments:

Post a Comment