Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Can't be on a diet forever!

No, it's true that you can not be on a diet forever. I am slowly going back to old bad habits.

I use to love rice and salsa. That all ended yesterday. I didn't have it for a at least 2 weeks and decided I'd make a fresh batch of rice. I had rice with my favorite salsa and I could barely eat it. It was spicy enough but just not what I wanted to eat for dinner. I joined my family and ate pasta instead but limited the portion size and had a salad with fresh asparagus.

I've taken up eating frosted flakes for breakfast with 2 bananas or toast with my fruit. I still love bananas, so at least that's all good!

I also still like sweet potatoes plain and sometimes popcorn. Plus, we always have almonds around the house to nibble on even though they are not low ,but a good source of fat.

I still think about what I'm eating and I do record what goes into my mouth in a journal. It seems more and more I'm tempted by sugar. Not just once a day, but throughout the day. Salty and sweet two very good combinations.

I know that I really need to be careful. I still weight myself every day and the scale has not changed much. I'm not at my lowest but in my normal range. I was hoping to have lost the last 5 pounds by now but that is not happening. I'm holding on to just maintaining, even with all the sugar I've been eating, is all I can expect. 

I've also cut back on running this week. Seems the few days were I was sick made me slow down. I felt better today about working out then I have in a long time. Maybe I was over doing it? At any rate..

Here's my plan.. because yes you always need a plan!
Try to limit sugar.. find something else like fruit that is sweet.
I'm trying rock climbing today.. will run if I feel like it
make some coleslaw for lunch and dinner so I won't be tempted to make poor choices.
Quit buying M&M's and Frosted Flakes! Even if the kids want it! I can't have it around and I know this!!
Give myself permission to not have to run 12 miles a day, there is nothing wrong with 6.

Rock Climbing update!! Yes, I went rock climbing today at Vertical Endeavors in St. Paul.  Every Tuesday & Thursday they have a lunch special from 11 -1pm you can rock climb for $8 and that includes a harness! It's usually $15 plus $4 for the harness. It's not busy at all and I'm sure that's why the special is in place. I went around the room in order as much as possible to all the auto belay climbs. I took any path up the wall. At one point, a 40+ year old guy suggested that I follow the color markers on the wall to make it more challenging. Yeah right! It's challenging enough since I knew my arms would give out before the rest of me was done climbing. I managed to do all but 1 climb. The last one I had to skip due to someone being on that climb. I had forgotten about it until the very end. I had done all the walls some even 2x's plus did take that guys suggestion and try the easiest route up the wall. Still not easy! Well, the last wall my arms were tired, I was hot and sweating. I just couldn't do it. It was more of a challenge then I was up for!

Glad I went.. conquered many climbing walls. I'll be back again next month because for the hour I climbed, I burned about 500 or so calories and had fun doing it!

Will I go for a run outside today? Not sure.. Plenty of time as it's only 2pm but now it's time to read and rest. Plus, it's pretty windy out there. What happened to 77*F?

No comments:

Post a Comment