Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Blisters


I was excited to try out my new running shoes today. Last night at 8pm I went out to the Running Room in Eagan  to find myself a new pair of running shoes. I wanted some good advice on what type of shoe I needed for my foot and running style.

I did find out some good information about my feet. I don't have high arches as I thought I did. They are actually low and that's why my feet turn in-ward. So, I need some support to prevent my feet from rolling in. There are plenty of shoes that offer support for me.

The woman also evaluated my walk, run. I have a healthy foot style of running. I run mostly towards my toes and  don't run with my heal touching first. Which is the way you want to run, toes first. So that was good to hear that I was indeed running correctly.

I was able to buy a pair of shoes for around $120. Not cheap but if my foot feels good running and I don't get any pain that's a good thing and well worth the money. The nice thing about this store, they tell you to try them out on a treadmill. If the shoe doesn't feel good, bring them back. Just don't run outside on blacktop because then you can't return them.

I did run today on the treadmill. Thankfully, I wasn't tempted to run outdoors. It was raining hard. I had to run on the treadmill today. Running in new shoes felt good. Well, until mile #4 when I could feel something hurting on top of my foot. Sure enough, I now have a blister in the shape of a triangle on both feet near my big toe. It's from the lace hole. So back to the store I go..

I'm going to get a second opinion since there are many running stores and many brands of shoes. I have a $20 off coupon for a store in Lakeville so I'm going to shop there for my next trial pair. I'm hoping to eventually find something that feels great.

I also tested out those new moisture wicking socks. I was told cotton socks are abrasive and create a lot of friction, heating up the foot and rubbing so that's why you get blisters on your toes. Sure enough, I've experienced the blisters on the toes. I'm not sure I'm sold on these new socks. They are expensive $23 for 3 pairs. Plus, my feet felt extra hot. I'll try the socks again and see if I can get use to them. Otherwise, I'll go back to my cotton socks which didn't seem to bother me about the toes blistering once in a while. It's mostly just dead skin anyway..

I just hope to figure it all out. Then again, the more you know.. the more you want to spend. I was thinking running was an in-expensive sport. I think the running stores want you to buy, buy and buy expensive stuff you really don't need. It's tempting to buy the latest and greatest but sometimes just the simple, non-hi-tech stuff works too. Don't fix what's not broken.

So, I'm taking baby steps into the world of running...

No comments:

Post a Comment