Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Dark Outside


Here it is 5:06am and I'm up, dressed, stretched and ready to go run. My only problem at 5am is that it's just not   light enough outside to run. I'm waiting for the sun to come up! Where oh where are you Sun?

I wanted to start running early this morning since I have a busy day of work and meetings. I couldn't sleep and was laying awake at 4am. Figured by 4:30am it was time to get out of bed, get ready and go. The sun use to be up this early a few weeks ago, but how quickly the sun changes with time.

So, I'm sitting here.. looking out the window.. waiting.. waiting for enough light outside so I can be seen by cars and feel safe enough to run at dawn.

Dawn is my favorite time to run. It's about 64*F, no wind, just the birds chirping away, there will be plenty of rabbits eating grass and a few cars on the road at this time of day.

Morning is a great time to workout. Your fresh, ready for the day. It's much easier to make working out a habit when you do it first thing in the morning. Makes me ready for anything and wakes me up! I feel strong, able and my mind is clear and fresh.

I would not have the energy or desire to workout in the evenings. I'm too busy, tired and can find plenty of reasons to not workout. I know that morning is best for me and I'll stick with it.

I heard a beep.. checked my watch and I didn't accidentally press the start, it was my heart rate. It's at 46/47..must beep when it's below 50? Which brings me to a story. About a year ago I was having my heart rate checked, the nurse said its really low. She said, "You must be a runner?" My first thought was well, no.. not me, I don't run. That's when I had been cross country skiing, and doing the cross ramp.. running up hills. I didn't consider myself a runner since I didn't run on the treadmill or run outside. Yet I was a runner and just didn't know it at the time. It was the start, the start of me running outside. I wanted to be able to say without a doubt that yes I am a runner.

I still felt like a non-runner even with running every day. What does it take to give you the rights to say you are a runner? I decided it must me running miles, at least 6 a day. Now I could call myself a runner. Then I decided it must be if you run on the treadmill at least a few times a week. So the slow progression began.. then I thought you have to run a race to be a runner. That's when last year in July I entered my first 4 mile race. Does that make me now a runner? I had only done 1 race, not a 5K or 10K or half marathon.. will I feel like a true runner after I have ran in all these races?

Well, I have yet to run a 10K or half marathon or even know what my PR best is for a mile. I'm getting there but yes, after running outside for months and the past 2 years whether it be cross country skiing, the cross ramp or biking.. I am a runner. So now I can proudly say YES! I do run.. that's why I have such a great resting low heart rate! It's because I'm fit, I am a fit runner!

Sun is up.. 5:24am.. Took a bit longer but now I'm off. Off to run 3.66 miles to the gym.. and home again.. Can't wait to be outside.. taking in the morning quiet.. and feeling strong.. feeling like a strong runner!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Runner! I aspire to be one like you, hoping my knees agree with that sentiment. Congrats and enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete