Thursday, April 12, 2012

Running Lingo

I've been reading a lot of running magazines and books about running. I can tell you that no matter how many times I come across a new running term it just doesn't register in my head. It's like learning a new language, I see the word, read it and then forget what it means. I'm sure one of these days after seeing all the new terms it will eventually stick. I'm not trying to memorize the stuff, just somewhat understand what they are talking about.

I see this PR all the time. I know it's stands for your best running time or something like that, but it should be BRT not PR.. lots of times the articles assume you know what PR is.. I just say it's Personal Running Time but what happened to the " T" after the PR?

Whenever you take up something new, there is always a lot to learn about the new "lingo". I feel somewhat out of the loop not really understanding everything about the running world. There are Farkles.. I think that has something to do with short running bursts, but have no idea of why they are called Farkles? Must stand for something that I just don't get.

There is a lot of talk about splits and not the kind where you are literally doing the splits with your legs, it's time splits after a mile, to figure out your mile time. Do I do these? No, and only because I have no idea of where in my run is exactly a mile. I don't have a GPS on my watch and I have no other way to figure that out so it's not helpful.

There is lots of talk about improving and training. I still can't figure out how many miles I really need to run every day or every week. I guess it's all up to the runner. I really don't know how to improve my run except to run more. Runners I read about do short bursts of fast running and pace running. Well, I have yet to figure out my pace. I go by heart rate which isn't really talked about that much. It's just mentioned if your a beginner to be able to talk while running then you know your going at a good pace. Well, what about race time. Doesn't any of that matter? How do I figure out how fast I can run for a half marathon?

Eventually, all this new lingo will become second nature and I'll understand it more then I ever imagined. For now I'll enjoy being a newbie and slowly take up new terms in the running world and enjoy reading all about my new found passion.. even if I just don't get all of it right now....





** Running update for today.... I ran for a hour..60 minutes outside today for aprox 6 miles I'm guessing. I just went slow and kept my heart rate around 130 to a max of 140 with it mostly being in the 133/134 range. I felt great like I could keep running but unfortunately my feet didn't feel that same way. I had bad foot/toe cramps so I did have to stop for a tiny second to crunch up my toes and wiggle them just to keep going. I'm going to look into buying more cushion for my shoes. I think a whole foot gel would help this issue. I have one for my heal but now it's time to extend the cush!

No comments:

Post a Comment