Friday, April 27, 2012

So much for working out!

No one showed up at 5am to let us into the gym. We sat in the car for 30 minutes until the owner finally came and opened up the doors.

Steve and I decided since we lost 30 minutes of workout time we would try something new. We both headed to the treadmill. Steve just went at a constant pace 5.5 mph with a 0.2 incline. I decided to try an interval workout. I would run at 6.5 for a minute and then 8.0 for a minute alternating between the two for 30 minutes. I did run at 9.5 just to see how it would feel for 1 minute. I was flying and I kind of landed weird on my ankle. Probably not a good idea since I could easily hurt myself and that would be it for running.

I did find out that running at 6.5 on a flat surface seemed slow. I could do 7.0 and not run out of steam for an hour. I'm not sure I would mix going faster with hills but it does not compare to running outside with wind and hills so I probably should step it up if I run on the treadmill.

I don't know if time went any faster on my workout but it did help to mix things up. The 30 minutes went by fast. I didn't feel tired. In fact, I felt like I didn't even run when I got out of the gym. I can't say I liked going 8.0 since it felt fast but not crazy fast. I just would rather keep a stead pace to build my endurance.

I was able to run 3 miles in about 22 minutes. So, that's a little over a 7:20 mile. Not a bad time! I'll have to try it again and just keep up a stead pace to see how I do. It's hard to pay attention to everything the first time you do something new.

I'm glad I tried interval running. I so needed the change from the cross ramp. I was just tired of my normal routine. Now I feel energized and ready to try more tomorrow..

Tomorrow is Saturday.. my running day outside. Hope I have good weather.. if not... I'll be on the treadmill for 2 hours.. I'm sure time won't fly by if that's the case!!


No comments:

Post a Comment