Sunday, April 29, 2012

Running when your sick?

Is it a good idea to run when your not feeling well?

Friday and Saturday I was feeling sick. I had some weird throat thing that made me cough along with an achy body and I'm sure a fever too.

I managed to get through my Friday and Saturday morning workouts but didn't do any extra running in the afternoon.

I decided to look up when not to run. Sick with any symptoms below the neck. Well, my illness certainly fell below the neck. If it was a cold, no problem, but this was some weird 48 hour virus that attacked and zapped all my energy.

I was lifeless all day Saturday when shopping and Saturday night all I could do was lay on the couch. I finally went to bed at 8pm and slept until almost 7am. That's unheard of for me. The only time I woke up was at 11:30pm when Steve & the kids got home from the neighbors mini party.

I woke up this morning feeling some what still tired, but felt good enough to go for a run. I didn't have that throat, rough feeling and I wasn't coughing any  more. I set off to run my 4 miles and half way through I thought I could do it 2x's. I got home and decided, it probably wasn't a good idea to over-do it. I am still not 100% but I feel at least 85% better then I did yesterday.

I did go to the gym and lift weights for 30 minutes and no extra running on the cross ramp! I was heading out that way to go pick up some bananas anyway. I figured I felt okay to lift a little but I'd take it easy. After all, I didn't do any weights Saturday and did just a few minutes on Friday.

Well, off to take a mini nap.. Still feel tired.
My weekly totals for running were not what they were the last 2 weeks. I'll post later after a nap.

My weekly total was 54 miles. Not even close to my max of 75miles for the week. No one ever said I had to run that much. I need a few days off from being sick so hoping this next week will get me running again...

No comments:

Post a Comment