Monday, June 18, 2012

Hot + Humid = HARD


 It was a hot, humid morning running. That combination made my run hard.

I had planned my race training today to run hard again to the gym 3.62 miles and then take it easy home after lifting weights for 30 minutes.

I started off running slow for 3 minutes, picked up the pace a bit so my heart was in the 140 - 155 range the rest of my run. I got there after 32 minutes. Not a great speed but good for how humid and how hard my run felt this morning.

My run home was no better. I was already drenched with sweat starting out, I was barley running with my heart rate around 125.. then I felt better after running for 5 or so minutes and kicked it up to 135 - 140 and tried to stay in the 140's for most of my run home. I made it back in 37 minutes but take 2 min off for my wait at the stop lights.

Sometimes you have to change your training schedule depending on the weather, how you feel or what ever else comes along.

Today, I was really just wanting to run slow and long.. I probably should have done just that and had a better day of running. I am just wanting to get in running hard, so I get use to faster running for the 4mile race. It's the only way to make me run faster and get a better PR - Personal Race Time.

Running more then one type of race, there are all different types of training for each. I should just concentrate on one race, one goal but I don't. I'm all over the place. I run slow miles.. 6 or more.. then I run fast 1.3 miles and pick up my pace for 3.62 miles. I have only taken 1 rest day. Which I should take more.. I am trying to work on too many things all at once. My goal really is to be well rounded. In shape to do fast short runs and to be able to go the distance with a long slower run.

I know the race I look forward to the most is probably the 13 miles. I know it will be hard to run for 2+ hours, but they will be at a more relaxed pace since I'm not going for speed, just to complete it and not feel like I got ran over by a truck.

These smaller, shorter races have me feeling a bit of panic. Like I need to train more to beat my last PR. Plus, it's really hard to run a fast race. It hurts! It hurts your lungs the most. My legs are fine.. I know they won't give out.. but my body will want to slow down and not run so hard.

I tell myself it's only 8 min max for the 1 mile run or 16 minutes for the 2 mile. That's not long to run fast. It will be over quickly and I will have racers memory block. I will eventually forget all the pain and suffering I put my body through and be excited to run the next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment