Saturday, June 30, 2012

Quiet...


I had a quiet run this morning. I decided to leave the ipod home along with my heart rate monitor and watch to time myself. I would run tech free. Free to listen to the birds, cars, my breathing, my feet pounding the pavement, the sprinklers and the hum of bugs..

I've read a few articles about leaving it all behind. Some how this is suppose to be good for you, good for your running. I'm not so sure?

I was just so tired of listening to the same 62 songs programed into my ipod and tired of listening to people talk on the radio and hearing all the commericals that seemed to take up most of my run time. I just wanted to skip it all today. I was thinking maybe this is what I needed to enjoy running again.

I do know that listening to the radio or my ipod helps my mind drift. Without that distraction my mind wants to tell myself to just walk, turn around and go home.... why are you doing this.. why, oh why?
I never feel like that when I have something to listen to. Well, I take that back.. sometimes I wonder what I'm doing the first 5 minutes, but I quickly forget once I get in the mood of running and zone out listening to whatever is in my ear.

I had no reason to look down at my wrist, nothing there to tell me how hard my heart was working. No time to check to see how long I had been running. It didn't matter today. Today, I needed to run to keep fit and just run to enjoy it for a day.

So, will I run tech free again? I might.. but not for a long time.. I'll stick with being sick of listening to the radio or the same songs over and over. I'm thinking time to download a few new songs and make my run more enjoyable...

No comments:

Post a Comment