Sunday, June 24, 2012

Trophy???


I finally talked to Steve about how we were going to do this 2 mile race together on the 4th of July with the kids. Funny how he completely forgot all about this race. I even had a conversation with him a week ago about what size T-shirt he wanted.

Yesterday, I told him my goals were to try and win a trophy for my age group. That means I have to come in 1st place in the women's 40 - 49 year old group. Not sure if I'll be able to do this. I did look up last years results to figure out if I have a chance. It looks promising but only if I run all out. (I will post last years results when I look them up again okay....... I need better then an 8 min & 4 sec per mile time! Got it!! I did 7:51 per mile for 3 miles!!)

Steve's running goals are much different then mine. He prefers to run in the gym on the Cross Ramp and not touch pavement. He has come running with me for 4 miles once and a 1.5 mile run around the neighborhood,but his knees hurt. He doesn't feel the need to be competitive. He's not after a trophy or even placing. He would rather not race. We figured out that he will run with the kids during the race and help Logan with pacing himself. Logan could easily get caught up in the mad dash at the beginning of the race and run too hard and too fast at first and not have enough energy to finish the race running. I want to make sure Steve, Logan and Celina have a great experience running races.

Of course, I have also considered that my kids could probably out run me. I do put in a lot of miles running, but speed is not my thing. I'd rather run the long slow mile after mile then do a fast heart- hurting short race. I'm okay with my kids passing me by.. "catch me if they can".. I am only competing with women in my age group 40 -49, so I'd still have a chance at scoring a trophy.

Do I really think I need a trophy at my age? Sure, why not!!! I work hard every day running, I worked hard for months losing the 50+ pounds, I work hard lifting weights and toning my body and I work really hard on maintaining those lost pounds. That trophy is more then just a hunk of plastic, it validates all my hard work, just not on the race that day, but every day, every day I'm working, working on being healthy. It's an awesome symbol for me of how far I have come. So don't laugh at me for wanting and dreaming about that hunk of plastic at the finish line. I want it.. I want all the glory that trophy will bring me. I need it for continuing motivation and for confirmation..

I have also a realistic side about this race, I know I'm not the fastest runner.. I've only been running outside for a few months.. in doors for 1-1/2years.. still a newbie at running.. I still do have high hopes, but know that even if I don't get first, just doing the race is confirmation that I can do it! I have come a long way...but darn it! It would feel so great to come home with that trophy!

No comments:

Post a Comment