Saturday, June 16, 2012

Lace Them UP!


You got to lace them up to get out the door each day to run. If you don't put your workout clothes on and your running shoes every day how are you going to stay fit?

I do that each day.. make a decision that I will get up early, will lace them up and go for a run. I like to have a plan of what type of run I'm going to do. Today, I decided I would run a short 1.3 miles around the block. I would run that 1.3 miles as fast as I could.

I ran a quick loop around our street to warm up.. rested, stretched.. then started the stop watch.. and off I ran.. 10.01 minutes. That calculates out to be a 7 minute and 42 second per mile. Not as fast as I had hoped. I'm sure I could have ran faster. Part of the route is down hill and the other half up. So not a lot of flat ground.

I decided the only way to get faster was to run faster. I have a 2 mile race on the 4th and I'd like to get a 7:30 minute per mile time. I just need to shave 15 seconds off each mile. Doesn't sound like a whole lot but it is!

I've also read losing weight speeds up your time a little. If I lost just 5 or 10 pounds that's a lot less weight to run with. It's like putting down the dumb-bells and running without them... It sounds like a good idea to really lose some weight.

The other way to speed up is to get use to running harder every day. I don't have to go miles and miles of running hard. I'll stick to my 1.3 miles running hard and do the rest easy. Eventually, I'm hoping it won't feel as hard.

I'm not excited about running hard until I'm breathing heavily.  It kind of scares me to go fast. It's a lot more challenging then just running an easy mile after mile. Of course when I first started running. It all felt hard. I know this will be hard. If it wasn't, would it be worth doing?

Tomorrow I'll be lacing them up again.. putting on my new workout running skirt and hot pink tank.. going for a fast run then an easy 8...

No comments:

Post a Comment