Sunday, September 2, 2012

Reasons.. Oh the Reasons...

Everyone exercises for a variety of reasons. It's just not one reason we do it. To motivate someone you need to find out what's in it for them.

So to motivate or to be motivated..

I have many reason I make sure to workout everyday... to keep the weight off, to get exercise, for social reasons as I've met a lot of new people and to have fun. It started off something I did to fill up time, to keep me busy to not gain weight and keep losing weight. I started meeting people at the gym, seeing the same runners and walkers on my outdoor route and now in my classes. We all get out there every day and are motivated to keep going.

Exercise takes time away from our families and other activities like sleep. It has to have a pay off for people to keep wanting to do some type of workout every day. It's not enough just to say I want to do it for my health. It's definitely a plus, having low blood pressure, less body fat, being tone, fit, and feeling great.

I build in rewards for myself. They might not be what you'd expect. I reward myself with a longer run that day if time allows it. I reward myself with getting a faster running time in a race. I reward myself my positive thoughts. I also reward myself with new workout clothes, shoes or gadgets.

I set up a fail proof plan. There are always going to be things in your way.. negative people, busy schedules, not feeling the best or feeling lazy or bad weather. I set up a way to cope and talk myself though each situation.

If I'm feeling sick above the neck.. it's a day to rest. If not.. get out there and workout. If I'm busy, it will help me stay focused and calm getting an early start. If someone makes me angry or sad.. I work thought the situation on my run and by the time I'm done.. I have a new perspective on the situation.. If I'm feeling lazy.. I tell myself.. just start, stretch and just run for 10 minutes, if I still don't want to do it.. turn around and go home. I have never turned around.. If the weather is bad and I can't run outdoors.. I have my back up indoor workout plan. If time does not allow me to workout..at my regular time.. I get up earlier or have to make schedule changes because exercise has to be the first thing I do even on vacation. It might have to be a different workout/ exercise then I do on a daily basis but I have to move every day. 30 minutes or more should be a goal for everyone. The bare minimum.




No comments:

Post a Comment