Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Weighty & Breathy...

The last 3 days I've weighted myself in the gym. Whole-ly Cow! I thought I had gained 4 pounds! What do you know.. stepped on the scale today and was back at my normal weight. Not any different from all the other weeks gone by. That was my good news. Wonder why it was sooo off?

I will be tested on this machine (metabolic analyzer) during class at some point, that measures your oxygen output or consumption. or Respiratory Exchange Ratio (RER) - It determines the fat/carbohydrate that is being used for fuel at different exercise intensities. It's an excellent way to determine a persons ability to perform sustained endurance exercise (such as long distance running). The more oxygen a person can take in,transport and use, the more physical work they can perform or are a better athlete.

Basically you wear a mask over your face and it collects the carbon dioxide you breath out, while running at your max for 30 seconds. After you do some calculations and then you get the results of your fitness. I'm looking forward to seeing my results along with some other fun fitness tests we are going to try. New information is always good in my never ending quest for numbers and ways to figure out if I'm getting more fit or fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment