Saturday, March 3, 2012

Big Goal!!

I have a big goal in mind for myself. I'd like Steve to also have this same goal, but I can't force it upon him. I started running to "Run, Run my buns off" because they weren't exactly small or tone. With all the running I do.. they are melting away butt... I still have some toning to do. So back to my goal with all this running to melt away my buns. I'd like my goal to run a half marathon sometime this summer/fall. I'm not sure I'll sign up for an actual marathon or just do it on my own. That's 13 miles or 2 hours at my running pace.

Last year, I did my first ever 4 mile race. It was just down the street in Rosemount, I knew 4 miles was not going to be easy, but I could do it. I had a goal to run one race. I could check that off my bucket list and be done with it. Well, I got the race bug. Yes, it was tough. I had been running for a few months building up miles.I never ran on pavement before the race. I only ran in the gym on the cross ramp and sometimes on the treadmill. I didn't wear the correct running shoes. I like my slip on shoes that breathe. Well, breathing feet in slip on tennis shoes is not a good thing for running a long distance outside. The shoes start to slip and rub. By the 3rd mile, my feet were killing me and I was sure having trouble running with the sides of my toes being rubbed raw. I finish the race at a really good "my time". (I have it recorded in another blog.. I'll have to reference that later).

My second race was a friend getting me signed up and getting me out the door. A 5K or 3.2mile race around Lake Como 2x's. She would walk it, I would run. I did the smart thing and purchased good running shoes. The shoes breath and stay on my feet. I had a month to prepare for this race. I ran outside daily starting with one mile for a week, then 2 miles the next and the last week before the race I was running 3 miles outside. 2 days before the race we drove out to Como Lake where I ran a lap around to get the feel of the path. Race day, I had no problem running 3.2 miles, but was glad when I was finished. I ran it in 24:24. a little under an 8 minute mile. My goal was to run it in 8 to 8.5 per mile. 

All this winter, I've been running 6 days a week on the cross ramp going 6.5 miles a day. Sunday I run on the treadmill 6.5 miles and one day a week I walk or run/walk another 5 miles. The past week, I made a goal of going 3x's in the evening to run on the treadmill for an hour. I made it 2x's this week. Guess, 3x's per week was a little aggressive and I need to ease into adding more.

I'll continue to add in running so I can do 13 miles in one day spilt up for now into a morning run and an afternoon/evening run. I eventually, want to combine the two and run for 2 hours straight. So next step is to do 1-1/2 hours then increase from there. I have plenty of time.. no rush but I have to start doing!!

It will be outside running this week. It's going to be in the 50's. I need to add that into my workouts and will start with 3 miles and go from there!


No comments:

Post a Comment