Sunday, March 4, 2012

Did it!

I did it!!!! I ran for 90 minutes today on the treadmill for a total of 9 miles!!! It felt sooo good!

I'm always a little worried about my toes hurting and getting those awful foot cramps when running for any extended time. My feet take a beating on the cushy surface of the treadmill. I did have to stop after 60 minutes due to the machine maxing out after an hour. It was a good time to hit the "stop", reset the treadmill for another 30 minutes and do a quick leg/toe/foot stretch. I really needed that to finish the last 30 minutes.

I always wear a heart monitor when running. I usually have a low pulse at 57 beats per min or less when just resting. When I run I look at the chart, age, and max heart rates one should be at for a target. Well, at 6.0 mph I max at 137 beats per minute. It puts me in the 50 age group for max. I have to get up to 144 to be in the 40's. lol... So, while I feel like I'm working hard, but not in the huffing and puffing killing me zone. Over all I feel great running, my legs don't burn, my breathing is easy, but there is a but my feet, oh my feet if they could just stay with the program!

So while I reached my first goal of running continuously for 90 minutes. I still have my bigger goal in site! I need to run 120 minutes or 2 hours straight for a total of 12~ 13 miles. I will do it.. I need to do it for me. I might never sign up for an actual half marathon race but I will have done it if I can do it on my own.

Now the next step comes it will be running it on pavement.. yes hard unforgiving pavement outside for 2 hours. I need to start slowly as miles indoors on the treadmill don't transfer to running outside. I'll have a whole new set of goals but for now, I'm going for the indoor goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment