Monday, March 19, 2012

Training


I can't imagine ever running a race without training. There are some people that can just go out and run 3, 4 or 7 miles without running for weeks to prepare.

I just can't do that. I have to train to prepare, so I don't die running. I never seem to hear any of those non-trainers complaining about being out of breath, barely making it to the finish line or sore the next day. Nope, nothing. Of course, the non-trainers are out to just do it, do it for fun and not worry about making any personal best times.

I'm all about keeping track, improving my numbers or why do it? Seems the ones that run the races get more credit for doing the race, then the ones who run, day in and day out. I guess it only matters if you run a real race?

I probably should pick up my running pace. I know from my heart rate, 127-133 that I'm running like a 50-60 year old. I need to get my heart pumping more to improve. That means picking up my running pace. I can't just go a leisure 10 minute mile and expect my body to keep burning the same amount of calories. I know your body gets use to the workout, makes it more efficient and you burn less. I need to mix things up.

I hear a lot about interval training, run hard one minute, then slow down one, and repeat until your running time is up. I just don't see how I could last running for an hour, sprinting for half the time. Like everything else.. I need to start off slow. Maybe try it and see how it goes.

I'll be able to add my 3 mile run outdoor times this week. My best time was 27 minutes and some seconds. So, that's a 9 minute mile with a few extra seconds per mile. I'd like to run on a regular basis an 8 minute mile so time to work on that!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment