Sunday, October 21, 2012

70*F in October!!

It was a great morning to be outside running. The high today is 76*F right now at 4pm.. It didn't start out that warm. When I ran at 7:30am it was only in the 40's. It still felt great to be outside.

While I ran, I was thinking about the race next weekend. I want to run in the 1st annual Savage Halloween Fun Run on the 27th at 2pm. I didn't pre-register because I wanted to make sure we would have nice weather on race day. It's only a $5 difference so not much to pay extra.

I have already done 3 of the 7 races in the Ground Pounders Grand Prix Running Series.If you run 4 races, you are entered in their prize drawing. I have no idea of what the "prizes" are, but I suspect it's water bottles, discounts on shoes, maybe a free subway sandwich, some stuff from runners gate all the sponsors of the races will have something for the prizes. Nothing too exciting prize wise, but might as well be entered and do this last race.

I've been reading a chapter in my Psychology class about mental training. I need to practice that! I am once again doubting my ability to do as well as I want in this race. I have zero data since this is the 1st race ever in Savage. I can't look up past results for my age group and determine what time I should get. I like have that information so I will know what kind of time I need to place in my age group.

What am I going to do for result comparison.? Easy.. look up the Rosemount July race results for their 4 mile race in my age group. That will be the race time I will shoot for if it's possible. I usually know before whether or not I can place by the year before's results as the same people usually run in these races. I was new to all this year and so my times were unknown to anyone.

I want to run this 4 miles for fun. I do know that I am very competitive. I will want to run a good race and not take the easy way out. I want to push myself but I'm also scared of that too. It's hard work running fast and it takes a lot out of me. It feels good after the race and I'm glad that I always try as hard as I can. I have zero regrets. There does come a time where I will no longer make great strides in my running times. I'm not sure I need to always place. It does feel great!! Don't get me wrong! That half marathon was the 1st race all this year where I didn't place. I wasn't running it to place this year and I knew from last years results I would not be fast enough. I'm not sure I will ever be fast enough as those races are only 1st place awards. It won't prevent me from trying or just trying to improve my time or just finishing another half marathon is a huge accomplishment no matter the time.

I need to get mentally tough for this next weekends race. I know it's all about fun.. so I'll try to keep that in mind.. and try my best too!

No comments:

Post a Comment