Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Should I? Imagine..?

It's always tempting to skip working out. I haven't had a working alarm clock for a while now. We have a few un-reliable ones, and I'd rather not set them since they never go off when they are suppose to.. it's only at random times, I hear a faint.. beep, beep, beep... so annoying!

This morning I over slept.. it doesn't happen very often.. it was just a 10 minute oops.. The first thing Steve said was "I'm tired.. we should just skip it"... "Well no,.. why do that? I'm up.. it's not too late" I said,..something is always better then nothing. We just do less weights, but still can get in an hour of cardio.. Plus, we can always do our ab workout when we get home.. Nothing lost... Right?

PART 2.. Imagine..

I had an assignment in class to practice using imagery. I decided to try using the imagery technique to prepare for a race. I closed my eyes and decided to think about my past race, the 4 miles in Savage. I pictured the race start, with all the flags around us. I imagined myself running down the narrow path, stepping over the cracks and the crumbling pavement with grass poking up. That's where things get fuzzy.. I was so relaxed.. out I went.. and then realized I was sleeping.  I heard Steve come in the door. Oops.. so much for a visualization technique.. I sure didn't get far in my 1st attempt..

Attempt 2 to use imagery.. Once again I went back to the Savage race.. I decided to do this technique in the middle of the night when I could not sleep.. thinking it would relax me.. and take my mind off the fact I could not sleep at 2:30am.. All it did was get my heart racing.. I'd panic.. and stop thinking about the race because I'd start twisting and turning in bed.. I was sooo restless. Not a good thing to visualize when I am trying to get back to sleep.. Instead.. of thinking about the race and my competition, I tried a new relaxation technique repeating to myself. relax.. relax  with some deep breathing.. That must have worked.. because I did go back to sleep and proceed to over sleep!

At the gym when working out this morning.. I wanted to try the visualization technique again. I thought about running my 4 mile loop outside.. and thought about the scenery I'd pass while running that route. At the end of my 60 minute run, the last minute.. I sprinted.. I visualized the finish line ahead, with one minute before I crossed the line.. My heart was pumping.. I was focused and I kept up my sprint until the minute was up. A great way to practice sprints at the end of a race so I can finish strong.

I can also use imagery for studying.. I tried it for a test I have on Thursday. I have to memorized bones, muscles and terms. I laid in bed going over the muscles  and bones visualizing where they were located. I feel better prepared today then I did yesterday just after that exercise. Still more to memorize.. more terms but that too will come. .and maybe I'll try the imagery for those too! Just have to make sure I'm not too sleepy!

No comments:

Post a Comment