Tuesday, October 2, 2012

What Doesn't Kill You... Will Make You Stronger

I remember the first time I wanted to train for a running race. I had been exercising for 11 months on a regular basis working my way up to an hour of cardio on the Cross Ramp. That previous winter I spent an hour most days cross country skiing from December to the middle of March. I certainly had enough cardio to begin training to run on pavement.

It was a big step for me. I didn't like running for the most part. I avoided the treadmill at all costs. My only goal was to be able to run the whole 3.2 miles. I didn't want to walk it. I wanted to run.

The first day I went out to run, I just ran slowly.. only 3x's around our little block to run a mile. After 1 week, I increased to 2 miles, or 6x's around our little block. I was getting tired of running around and around so the 3rd week, I added the trail behind our house. Gradually, I worked up to running the whole neighborhood. almost 3 miles. I ran that fall. I ran that 3.2 miles in some 25 minutes and 25 seconds or something like that. A great time.

The first time I ran in a race, I didn't train at all. Well, I did do cardio in the gym and I had been cross country skiing but I didn't actually build up miles running outside like I did for this race. I would not recommend anyone doing a race without training.

It didn't kill me to build up running little by little. I didn't feel awful or sore after. I did it slowly, by adding miles little by little.

Running does make me feel stronger. Even when I swam competitively, I never felt that strong. There is something about running that changes you.. It's not going to kill you.. but it will make you feel and be stronger!

No comments:

Post a Comment