Friday, October 5, 2012

Boxing... Running.. Climbing..Sugar

Boxing.. Who would have ever thought at age 44 I'd try boxing! Well, I did just that last night in my weight training class. I learned how to jab and do a cross punch. So much fun and you do work up a sweat. I might just have to find a boxing or kick boxing class to take.

This morning Steve found someone on his favorite Cross Ramp machine. I suggested trying something new to mix up our morning exercise. What do you know.. he was ready for a change and off we went to the treadmill. I ran at 6.0 hills for an hour, rand 6 miles and burned almost 700 calories for the hour. Steve started off walking, then upped it to 5.0 for 30 minutes or more and then walked to cool down and was done after 45 minutes.

Steve did complain of his hip hurting and the weird feeling when you walk off the treadmill. I know from experiencing the same things when I started running on the treadmill that those issues will pass with time. It takes awhile to get use to anything new. Its going to feel different. Your body is going to hurt a little until it gets use to using those muscles. It's all normal. Unless, you experience stabbing, sharp pains there is no reason not to continue.

I'm hoping at least 1x a week we can run on the treadmill. This guy who uses Steve's favorite machine shows up every Friday. Sometimes it takes something out of your control to mix things up. I'm taking it as a good thing. Time to try something new. Mix it up and make yourself stronger!! I'll get him to run with me some day outside... ;0)

Climbing.. Rock Climbing! I've been getting e-mails from Vertical Endeavors and realized.. hey.. I'm a student! I have a student ID. I can get in 1/2 price to rock climb on Friday nights. I also just remembered lunch specials for half price every Tuesday/ Thursday. I need to check the website just to make sure I'm right. I think at least 1x a month I might try this again. It's good for upper body strength which I need to work on. Plus, I just love it. I'm going to buy my own harness about $50 since renting is $4 each time. A good investment and not too much to spend. Looking forward to next weeks new workout challenge!!!

Which brings me to my last topic.. how did I do yesterday on my sugar-less day! It was hard. Harder then just spending an hour working out. At least when I workout, it's over after 1 hour. Not eating sugar for a whole day.. lasts all day! Hours and hours of thinking about it and wanting it.. plenty of time to screw up!

Well, I did it.. I kept thinking about cookie dough.. chocolate chip, my favorite. It's also the only junk food we have so it was on my mind. I resisted and I made it. No junk foods for me yesterday. I didn't even do bread which is another downfall, comfort food. I did eat a salad and have a banana when I got home from working out. I ate such an early dinner at 2:30, so I was starved at 8:30pm. I figured I could have anything but junk.. so I ate veggies and fruit. Okay to do even late at night.

I'm proud I accomplished my food goal for the day. It was hard but I did it.. Now I'm thinking I might want to try doing it again today. I know I said just one day. That's all I need to do. The first day is always going to be the hardest. Our minds and bodies are fighting against us. Now that I know I can do one day.. why not just 2 days? So once again.. I will struggle to keep myself from eating cookie dough or junk foods.. I can do it.. I saw the results on the scale this morning.. down 2 pounds from yesterday! I'm curious to see what I can lose in 2 days.. Here we go again...

No comments:

Post a Comment