Wednesday, October 10, 2012

What would I do?


Q: You are a personal trainer teaching a weight training class to 10 overweight/borderline obese women. All 10 women suffer from social physique anxiety. What approach/techniques would you use to maximize intrinsic motivation in this group? Be specific and use concepts related to feedback and reinforcement in your answer.

As a once over-weight middle aged woman,  I can relate to other women who are overweight/borderline obese and that suffer from social physique anxiety. When I was over weight, I was worried about not having enough energy to finish the exercise class, and whether anyone was watching me, as I was self conscious about how my body looked. It was also hard to stay motivated when I had so much weight to lose. I felt alone and over whelmed. 

The approach I would use to to maximize intrinsic motivation in a group of over weight/obese women would be to offer a weight training class that takes attention away from a body-conscious approach.  The women may feel more confident in really believing the class will be geared toward their needs. I would give positive feedback to each individual as a way to encourage them. I think pairing the women up would help them make friends in the class and in turn, help each other out by offering support and reinforcement. I would also have each person come up with personal goals they would like to accomplish from the weight training class. Before each class, the participants could do a self evaluation, focus on a goal for that particular class, whether it be trying a new exercise, lifting more weights, or just for showing up.  I think it would also be a good idea to ask them what types of exercises they enjoy doing and focus on the ones that make them feel comfortable. The women will be more willing to keep coming back to the class if they are doing exercises they enjoy and are making friends too. 

I know from first hand experience that it's important to make connections when starting an exercise program. It's the other people around you that can help keep you motivated. They notice when you don't show up and are generally concerned about your well being. You share stories of how to get fit, what is working and whats not. You share your lives. It makes coming to the gym and working out more rewarding if you have friends on the same path in life. It's easy to stay motivated if you know your support system is waiting for you. It's those other people that encourage me, giving me positive feedback just when I need it the most. That is enough of a reinforcement to keep going back, just knowing my support system is there for me, making it easier to keep my fitness goals. 




No comments:

Post a Comment