Saturday, October 13, 2012

Race Day is Finally Here!!!


5:23am.... I've been up for hours laying in bed waiting to get up to start my day. I've worried about pretty much any and every thing I can about this half marathon.

I went from worrying about my stomach, now to will I get lost on course? Will it be well marked? How many people will be racing, will it rain? What should I wear? Will I be cold? Will I be too hot? Will my feet hurt? Do I need a visor for the rain?

The weather report is better then I expected. 50*F at race time. 20 degrees warmer then yesterday. Not much wind.. little to no rain on the weather radar, but the report does say rain at 10am. It doesn't look like we will be getting the severe storms.. it's all going farther south.

I'm nervous... just because there are a lot of unknowns for me... Will it feel long since I don't know the route? I usually break up my running into 3.5 miles with stops. This time.. there are no breaks... no land markers.. I'm sure we will know what mile we are running??? This is a smaller race.. out in Belle Plaine so I'm not sure what they have for help, water, route  directions.. all the things now I worry about!

I will be heading to the race destination in a little over an hour. The race starts at 8:45/9am.. I'm hoping to be done by 11am.. back home around 1pm after a nice lunch?

My plan of attack:
Eat a banana.. I need some energy
Bring Dots candy.. quick sugar! have a few before the race
Take an Excedrin/caffeine pill around 7am.. should last 4 hours
Stretch...
Bring clothes to change into!!!
Don't forget my ipod, etc..
Camera to capture the finish line..
My family for support!

I'm looking forward to receiving that metal for completing the half marathon.. I never imagined myself doing any running let alone races and now entering a half marathon. This has to be one of the biggest accomplishments after losing 50 pounds. I know it's not the full marathon.. maybe next year I will feel like I can do that.. for now.. I'm doing something big for me.. Running 13 miles, all at once.. I've been training all summer. I want this.. and I'm doing it today!!!

I'll update later on... race results and photos.. Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment