Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Long & Short Term Goals

I started this post yesterday and I'm having a hard time with it. For months now, I've been completely focused on my one main long term goal of running the Belle Plaine Half marathon.  I didn't make any other long term fitness goals beyond this race. Saturday was finally race day, now it has come and gone. I did what I set out to do. I ran 13.16 miles, collected my half marathon metal and ran it in under 2 hours! So what's next? I'm a little lost now that I've accomplished my second biggest goal since my weight loss. 

I did some brain storming yesterday and here's what I came up with.. for both long term goals and short term...



Short term goal
Run the 4 mile Savage Race – 2 weeks
Running in the cold outside - now
Taking the ACE Exam and passing - December
Turkey Day race - Thanksgiving Day
Toning my triceps to firm them up - daily
Toning my gluts..- Daily


Long Term Goal (6 months or Longer)
Belle Plaine Half Marathon - Next 2013 (faster PR- looking for a 1hr:45min) 
Dualathalon - Bike & Run (spring)
Start my own business Personal trainer/ running coach??? (need certificate & ACE passed)
Teach Aqua classes part-time or look into this as an option to try (need ACE Passed)
Finishing the Personal Trainer Certificate & continue to get a group fitness cert.


I use Psychological Skills Training in all aspects of my life. Currently, I used it during  a half marathon running race by talking myself through what my goals are and what I want to accomplish. I make a plan on what my race goals will be, whether or not I want a new PR or I’m just running it for fun, or maybe to place in my age group. I always set a goal for every race. The half marathon goal was to just run it,  and collect my race metal! I had to keep saying to myself.. keep going, get that metal to show you can run it! 

A short term goal is to run the Savage 4 mile race in a week. I want to run this one for fun and not worry about placing in my age group. I need to focus on just running a nice pace and enjoying running. My long term goal is to run the 1/2 marathon again next October 2013. I want a faster PR of 1 hour and 45 minutes! Lots of training to do between now and then. 


How do you measure your goals.. SMART.. Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time-Bound.

Specific Goals - see above Long & short term
Measurable - See dates 
Attainable - Yes!
Relevant - apply to my life now
Time- Bound - Training every day and working towards each of those goals

No comments:

Post a Comment